Monday, October 8, 2012

Mom, I'm hungry!

It seems like every time I turn around one or more of my kids is saying they are hungry, and I don't think I'm alone.  As active as my kids are they frequently need snacks between meals so I'm always looking for healthy options.

Let's face it, there's not much worth eating in goldfish or animal crackers.  My basic rule of thumb is that a snack needs to include some form of protein and a fruit or vegetable.  This week I'm going to highlight some of my kids favorite snacks starting with homemade granola bars.

For a "health food"  many store bought granola bars are filled with high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors.  These homemade bars are full of whole grains and sweetened with nothing but honey.  They are based on a recipe from Everyday Food (March 2011, pg 36) which is one of my favorite magazines-most of the recipes are what I consider real food or require few modifications to make them so.  I've been making granola for a long time, but was so excited to find a recipe for bars that would transport easily and have that satisfying chewiness of store-bought granola bars.

One of the great things about granola and granola bars is that once you get the ratio of liquids to solids down you can adjust the recipe by swapping in whatever nuts, seeds, or dried fruits you like.  I used almonds and dried cherries for these, but they are delicious with walnuts, pecans, raisins,  or chopped dried apricots!


Chewy Granola Bars

3/4 cup honey,  divided
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for dish
3 cups thick cut rolled oats
1 1/3 cup nuts
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
2 cups dried fruit
1/3 cup creamy nut butter (I used almond)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line large baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Grease bottom and sides of 8.5" x 11" glass pan with butter.
In large bowl combine oats, nuts, and salt.  
In small sauce pan melt butter and stir in 1/4 cup honey until dissolved.
Pour honey/butter mixture over oats and stir until well combined.
Spread mixture evenly on baking sheet.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brow, stirring occasionally.
Cool completely.

Return oat mixture to large bowl and stir in dried fruit.
In small saucepan combine 1/3 cup honey and 1/2 cup nut butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until mixture boils. 
Pour honey mixture over granola and stir to combine well.
Transfer to  baking dish and press firmly into pan with spatula.
Refrigerate for at least one hour or until firm. 
Cut into squares and store at room temperature in airtight container for up to one week.

You may have some "crumbs" when you cut the bars.  Save them to sprinkle over yogurt or use as cereal with milk.  



No comments:

Post a Comment